[chrony-users] Monitoring chrony, Prometheus-friendly metrics

Hi all,
I'm following up from this old thread from 2016 regarding monitoring
chrony [0], and from this more recent discussion in Prometheus land [1].

[0] https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/chrony.tuxfamily.org/chrony-users/2016/02/msg00003.html
[1] https://github.com/prometheus/node_exporter/issues/1666

Back in 2016, Ben was investigating how to efficiently collect
live metrics from chrony, with Miroslav offering several insights.
The thread ended with two alternative paths:
 * augmenting chronyc to emit machine-friendly output
 * re-implementing chrony status protocol in a Prometheus exporter
   (likely in Go)

I'm now back to this topic, as I have the same need as Ben.
I started looking at a Go implementation of the status protocol, but ran
out of time and not overall convinced about re-implementing all the
tricky bits there.

Was there perhaps some progress on chrony side?
Is exposing metrics in Prometheus format directly in chrony daemon
still not viable?

Ciao, Luca