Re: [chrony-users] Unreachable sources only updates NTPSynchronized on service start

Thank you all for the detailed responses. That all helps greatly. It sounds like I will be looking into the prerelease version then and some source code to dive into for fun.

Have a great day,

Jordan Gibbens
Systems Engineer
Advanced Clustering Technologies, Inc,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 2:37 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 07:47:31AM +0100, Jan Breuer wrote:
> Question is if Chrony touches somehow these values even if it is not
> synchronized. I don't know this.

It depends on what exactly happens with the sources. If the sources just
become unreachable, chronyd will not reset the synchronized status.
The clock is expected to drift within the estimated skew and
maxclockerror. If the sources give conflicting information (i.e. they
are marked as falsetickers), the clock synchronization status will be
immediatelly set to "unsychronized".

> If chrony does not touch any kernel time adjustment interfaces, it can take
> hours for this dbus property to go to false state.

Yes, that's expected.

With the latest prerelease, the synchronization status can be updated
even when no adjustment of the clock is made. As the maximum error
estimated in the kernel is normally much more pessimistic that the
chrony's, it could take many days for timedated to report
"unsynchronized" clock.