Re: Sv: Sv: [chrony-users] Multi-source: No source change from unreachable to reachable one

Correct me if I am wrong, but PTP gets its time from the system clock and the system clock gets its time from GPS. To get its high precision, PTP needs networking equipment that is PTP compliant. The PTP clock on the NIC of the master clock computer is synch'd to the MC system clock. The MC NIC then synchronizes the PTP clocks on the network at a hardware level. PTP can synch at a purely software level, but is not as precise. The system clocks on the slave (non-MC) computers are synchronized to the PTP clocks on their NICs. Bottom line is that the PTP portion of this time synchronization does not depend upon it being connected to a GPS receiver, PTP is responsible for keeping all the computers on the network synch'd to the system clock on the MC.

John

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 5:33 AM Joanna Yurdal <jyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PTP gets time from GPS and has a good crystal to keep the time. With PTP it is easier since it can be used to sync all devices. Even if clock will not be accurate it will be same for all synced devices. We have a redundancy on network and equipment so we should still have NTP. We are using GPS also but there are cases where it is being jammed and where we operate inside without the GPS coverage. As mentioned before when using NTP we always use it with GPS pulse.
There can be always a failure but having multiple technologies it is always safer that one will work.

From: Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 11 October 2019, 14:04
To: chrony-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sv: Sv: [chrony-users] Multi-source: No source change from unreachable to reachable one

What is your ntp source and how  are you going to make sure it will give you
that kind of accoracy In particular if you are using PTP, are you sure that if
that source goes down, you will not also lose your network to ntp? Ie isn't a
completetly independent GPS a necessity? And what gives the time to PTP?

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019, Joanna Yurdal wrote:

> We need accuracy below ms at all times, since we are taking images of fast moving objects from different devices. We can tolerate a loss of synchronization for a short time due to adjustment to the new source, but even small delay over a several minutes period of time makes our measurements inaccurate.
> In general we are using PTP to get the accuracy.
> If NTP is used we get are using GPS to help achieve the sync we need ( we cannot use GPS as source just yet, since it is not wired to  a Linux pin on some hardware)
> Anyhow thank you all for all the valuable input.
> /Joanna

John Burton, Ph.D.
MTEQ, Inc.

10440 Furnace Rd., Suite 204            Office:   540-658-2720 x1407
Lorton, VA 22079-2630                      Mobile: 757-508-6208
jburton@xxxxxxxx                            Fax:     540-288-2515

Please note that the contents of this email including all attachments may be privileged or confidential in nature and are intended solely for the named recipients.  If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and be aware that the use, copying, or dissemination of this information is prohibited.