Re: [chrony-users] Application requires frequency accuracy but not time accuracy

Thank you for your reply! To answer your question: "To better understand the requirements on accuracy, how many milliseconds is one pixel in that image?"

My refractor's focal length is 418mm. The CCD's pixel size is 4.65 microns. That is 2.29 arcsec per pixel which means 1568.9 pixels per degree at the celestial equator. There are 86400 seconds per solar day and therefore 240 seconds per degree. This reduces to 152.97 milliseconds per pixel. For a target above or below the celestial equator you need to multiply 152.97 by the cosine of the object's declination. For the Andromeda Galaxy the declination is 41 degrees north. All said and done, that is 115.45 milliseconds per pixel. So to put it another way, if I were to kill the drive the galaxy would drift at a rate of 8.66 pixels per second.

I had mentioned that there was a temperature component. In a typical imaging session ambient temperature drops about 5C. It is not a straight line. The temperature can hold steady for an hour and then drop 1C quickly.

Typically I power up the Pi an hour before astronomical darkness. From experience with another Pi that is dedicated to imaging which has its own GPS USB dongle, it can take quite a while before the LED on the dongle begins to flash. The amount of time it takes to obtain a fix depends where I position the telescope in the field. This is not a problem. I like to power everything up well before I get down to business. Also I should mention that I am at the mercy of the weather, so I might go 10 days between imaging opportunities.

Having said this my expectation is that the drift file should give Chrony enough information to make an initial estimate of the current time just as soon as the Pi boots and Chrony loads. When the GPS comes on line, perhaps as long as 20 minutes later, Chrony should utilize the timestamps to formulate a more accurate, up-to-date picture.

Thank you to everyone for your help. This is a most interesting topic!
Brian