Re: [chrony-users] makestep examples in docs

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 02:05:26PM +1100, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
> I figured the purpose of the `3` limit in makestep, would help to not
> make large jumps on gps errors (after the initial step period),
> but I guess it wont help from slowly skewing.

If you want to prevent slewing, there is the maxchange directive.
It can prevent updates of the clock if the measured offset changed
significantly after some initial number of updates. It can ignore the
updates or abort.

This may also be useful to deal with issues related to GPS week
rollover, if there are no other sources to which the refclock could be
compared and ignored as a falseticker.

As for the man page recommending makestep 0.1, I think that was mainly
intended for non-Linux systems, which have slower slewing and need
an hour to correct a 1 second offset.