Re: [chrony-users] initstepslew seems to break chronyd

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 04:48:00PM +0000, MUZZULINI Frank wrote:
> local stratum 11
> server 10.4.142.10 minpoll 5 maxpoll 8 iburst prefer
> peer   10.5.141.208 minpoll 5 maxpoll 8 iburst
> initstepslew 0 10.4.142.10 10.5.141.208
>
> Both local time and the peer are about two seconds off.

Does that mean that the peer is synchronized to this host? It doesn't
have more sources to detect falsetickers?

Also, please note that iburst doesn't work with peers, so the server
would normally be selectable before the peer. In initstepslew the
burst works with both sources, so there is a difference.

> When I start chronyd with this configuration, I end up with both sources being considered false tickers:
> # chronyc -n sources -v
> MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
> ^x 10.4.142.10                   2   5   377    15  -2010ms[-2010ms] +/- 5384us
> =x 10.5.141.208                 11   7   377    60    +26ms[  +26ms] +/-  282us
>
> However, when I comment out the initstepslew line and restart chronyd, it quickly selects the stratum 2 server as the relevant source and everything is fine.
>
> Is this a bug?
> Any ideas what I could do to avoid this problem?
> I don't want to use makestep, since time jumps at run time could kill our application.

Makestep shouldn't make a difference. I'm not sure what is going on
here. It would help to see the measurements and tracking logs, from
both peers.

I'd suggest to try also the orphan option and ideally use a third
source, so a single falseticker doesn't break everything.