Re: [chrony-users] Chrony offset and stability adjustments? (fwd)

Thanks for the explanations Miroslav. I guess I was just trying to illustrate that it is indeed possible to get sub-ms behaviour on VMs providing you have a good source of NTP.

> On 8/01/2019, at 10:31 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> In the estimate of the maximum error, it's important to include also
> half of the root delay, so in your examples it would be about 250
> microseconds.

OK - still less than 1ms as required by the OP.
Maybe this maximum error estimate could also be shown in 'chronyc tracking'?

> Raspberry PIs have ethernet on USB, which adds some latency, and IIRC
> the default interrupt coalescing is very large. You might want to try
> setting a smaller rx-usecs value with ethtool -C, which should reduce
> the root delay and give the clients a better estimate of the maximum
> error.

I had a quick look at this, but the nic in the RPi doesn't seem to support the coalesce options of ethtool with Debian Stretch.

As you say there may be better h/ware for the job, but the RPi/Uputronics combo is an inexpensive, and also well documented, way of getting very good timekeeping on a small LAN.

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx