Re: [chrony-users] Samba time sync settings

On 06/04/2018 06:40 AM, Alexei Rozenvaser wrote:
> Hello
>
> I wold like to ask for help in setting chrony time synchronization to
> work with samba as windows domain controller.
> Please refer to samba mail list discussion:
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-June/216032.html

As long as both servers are running some form of NTP-based time software
(and Chrony is indeed using the NTP protocol) then you are set.

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/how-the-windows-time-service-works

If Windows would have used a port of the NTP package, you could have run
a peer-to-peer association that would have let you measure the time
difference.

Water under the bridge.  Plan B is that you can change your Windows
2012R2 server's clock setting to synchronize time with your Ubuntu
server; as long as they are in the same broadcast domain, or at most two
local router hops away, that should get you "close enough for Microsoft
work".