Re: [chrony-users] Chrony vs. Linux RNG

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Wed, 9 May 2018, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 10:11:36AM -0700, Denny Page wrote:
For what it’s worth, I got bit by this yesterday moving from 4.14.30 to 4.14.39. I had a couple servers hang for a few minutes in chrony startup. However, I also had several servers that were still hung in chrony startup after 30 minutes. Adding background fixes the issue as noted.

I've seen it now too on one of my Fedora VMs running a server for
pool.ntp.org. The systemd service has a timeout of 90 seconds and
chronyd seems to be getting killed if it takes longer to start. Not
good.

As I understand it, this affects quite a few applications and there is
still some upstream discussion related to the RNG fix. Maybe it will
sort itself out on the kernel side. If not, I think we should consider
releasing 3.3.1 with the fallback to /dev/urandom.

Does it not use urandom now? It really should not use /dev/random if that is
what it does.