Re: [chrony-users] GPS/PSS hardware

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 06:34:54AM +0200, Nicolas Embriz wrote:
> Hi, I would like to build/test a stratum-1 server, I have found articles
> about how to do that with a raspberry PI and boards like
> https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_64&product_id=81

It depends on what are your requirements on accuracy. A typical
RPi-based server would probably be accurate to few tens of
microseconds. It is mainly limited by the USB ethernet, lack of HW
timestamping and PPS interrupt delay.

> But wondering if there is hardware/devices that could be attached via USB
> and connect to an existing server.

In addition to what others have suggested, there is also a possibility
to add to the server a NIC which has a pin for timestamping external
PPS, like the Intel I210, and use that for synchronization. This
allows errors due to interrupts and asymmetric delay on the PCIe bus
to be avoided, and accuracy better than 100 nanoseconds is possible.