Re: [chrony-users] PPS on stretch Raspberry Pi

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018, Deven Hickingbotham wrote:

On 2/26/2018 7:59 AM, Bill Unruh wrote:

Does /dev/pps0 exist? Does /sys/devices/virtual/pps/pps0 exist?

Yes, both exist.

Do either the assert or clear files in that directory exist and do they
display steadily increasing values in the file (looket at at successive
times)?

Both files exist. assert does show increasing values. clear is empty. BTW, this is the same on my jessie system where PPS works.

OK, so everything is ready.

It would really help the reader if you made some indication as to where a new file were listed in your dump of various files. Just the name of the file is
not enough.

I did include the path on the file names.

Yes, but that is just text which looks like all the other text. Some more
noticable indication of a new file ----------------
****************
or something like that would be helpful to the reader being able to see where
the transition takes place.

refclock PPS /dev/pps0 lock NMEA refid PPS
# Settings for 1 update per 1 to 2.5 second seconds
#refclock SHM 0 offset 0.5 delay 0.2 refid NMEA noselect
# Setting for 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 updates per seconds
refclock SHM 0 offset 0.1 delay 0.2 refid NMEA noselect

What feeds the SHM with the NMEA time? Are you also running gpsd?

gpsd is running and working.

What is in the chrony logs (actually you should turn them on)

What options should I specify for logging?

  log tracking rtc measurements refclocks statistics
  logdir /var/log/chrony

Tracking is the calculation as to how far the clock is off, rtc is the status
of your rtc (although I thought the RPi had no rtc), measurements is the ntp
packets sent to the various ntp servers, refclocks is the measurements from
the refclocks (NMEA and PPS in your case), statistics is the results of the
linear fitting that is done on new measurements.

For you the key would be refclocks and measurements probably..