Re: [chrony-users] File permissions issues using SOCK protocol

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Stuart Maclean wrote:

My chrony.conf file is this:

refclock SOCK /var/run/chrony.serial.sock refid CSAC noselect

refclock SOCK /var/run/chrony.pps.sock    refid PPS  lock CSAC

When I start chronyd (version 3.2) at boot, it creates

/var/run/chrony.serial.sock

and

/var/run/chrony.pps.sock

with read + write permissions for root only.

I have a client program which uses the two sockets above.  It needs
write permissions I think, in order to write data to chronyd.

Why would you want your client program to write to the socket?

What are you trying to do?

I would like to run my client as a regular user, since it has no need
for root privs other than to write to this socket.

Is there any way to do this?  Can chronyd create/open the socket paths
with a more liberal write access?

Any help appreciated.

Stuart