Re: [chrony-users] Chrony forgets servers (specified by FQDN) when no DNS server

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 04:25:14AM -0800, Stephen Satchell wrote:
> TL;DR: chronyd doesn't like server specifications with FQDN when there is no
> DNS resolver available -- and neither does rival ntpd.  We'll see if
> NXDOMAIN is just as bad.

> After one of the power cycles, I checked matters with chronyc(1) and found
> the only active NTP server in the "sources" list was my local GPS NTP box.
> Everything else was missing.  When I restarted chronyd, everything was there
> as expected.

chrony supports delayed name resolving. When a server hostname cannot
be resolved on start, it should be trying again in an exponentially
increasing interval. Running "chronyc online" should force it to do it
right now.

What chrony version do you use and on what system it is running? When
"chronyc sources" doesn't list the servers, what does "chronyc
activity" print?

If you recompile chrony with debugging enabled, running chronyd with
-d -d might give us an idea what's wrong.