Re: [chrony-users] leapsectz and phc refclock offset

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 4:32 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> An advantage of this approach is that chronyd will stop accumulating
> new samples when the PHC is no longer synchronized as phc2sys is
> continuously checking state of the PTP port.

This works to some extent, although not as robustly as I would have
hoped.  If I use iptables to stop updates from getting to ptp4l, I see
phc2sys notice this and stop updating the SHM, which then causes
chrony to increment its root dispersion and then downstream clients
can see that and make proper decisions.

Unfortunately, if ptp4l isn't running (perhaps it crashed, or was
accidentally killed by an administrator), whether it leaves behind its
unix domain socket or not, it seems that phc2sys is happy to continue
taking samples in that case.

But, this sounds like an issue to be raised on the linuxptp lists.

I'm going to leave this setup running for a while and see if I can
reproduce the weird behavior I was seeing before.