Re: [chrony-users] How does chrony "speed up" the system clock

Yes it would. If the clock were slowed by 500PPM (which is a large slew rate)
a 1 second sleep would take all of .5 milli seconds longer. Now chrony can
slow the clock more than that but only under severe circumstances and never by
more than 10%.

You can tell chrony to jump the clock if its error is too large. (that is an
infinite slew rate), but that will not happen. In normal operation the slew
rate may change by a few parts per million-- ie, it is not something to worry
about.

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx