Re: [chrony-users] Hardware timestamping in CentOS 7.4 (was: Possible to get sub-millisecond accuracy?)

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 11:21:29AM -0400, Chris Perl wrote:
> When 7.4 lands (and/or on 7.3 using your copr repo if there is only
> one card), if I have a card that doesn't support HWTSTAMP_FILTER_ALL,
> will I be able to use hardware timestamping for the transmit
> timestamps and use kernel timestamping for the receives?

You would have to patch the code to not try to enable the RX filter.
Currently, if the setting fails, HW timestamping is not used, even if
it could work for TX.

> I just wasn't sure if chrony would require both in order to enable
> hardware timestamping, or if it would be able to operate with either,
> depending on what it finds.

That's an interesting idea. Do you think people would prefer SW RX+HW
TX timestamping over SW RX+SW TX?

> Also, perhaps you're not able to answer this question, but any sense
> for when 7.4 will land?

No, sorry.