Re: [chrony-users] Delaying postfix until chronyd gets the time

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:33:29PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> This is on Centos7 on arm:
>
> In my continuing journey to run a armv7 server with no battery clock, I have
> been strongly advised on the postfix list that it should NOT start until the
> system time is after the create time of the running version of postfix.

The -s option would help with that, but the improved behavior which
restores time from the driftfile when there is no RTC was added in a
newer version than is currently available in CentOS.

> Adding chronyd.service to the After statement would only delay postfix until
> chronyd started, not until it set the time (and what if the network was down
> at startup time?).
>
> How might I add a ExecStartPre clause that would delay postfix until the
> system time was right?

The recommended way to delay start of a service until the clock is
synchronized is to add "After=time-sync.target" to its unit file and
enable the chrony-wait service. It uses the chronyc waitsync command
to delay the time-sync target.