Re: [chrony-users] Chrony, rpi, rtc, PPS issue

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 07:41:57PM -0700, Brian Gieryk wrote:
> Running latest chrony(d)(c) with a raspberry Pi 3(B) and a DS3231 (DS1307 with temp comp) and GPS with PPS on GPIO pin 18.
>
> PPS and GPS work fine (thanx to the list!).
>
> Now I added an RTC module.
>
> Still have all good PPS etc.
>
> After restarting chronyd first then gpsd everything starts up fine.  Good data on gpsmon, ppstest.
>
> When doing a chronyc sources, starts out with both RTC and PPS having a ?.  After a short time, it will pick up the RTC (*) then the PPS (*) and RTC(-).  Then very shortly thereafter both (RTC and PPS) switch to falseticker (X) status, never to recover.

If I understand it correctly, the RTC is not synchronized to anything
but is used as a time source (a PPS refclock?) mixed with the GPS PPS?
That won't work as the sources don't agree on what time it is. A
better way would be to use it as a tempcomp input to adjust the
frequency of the system clock.

Dan Drown has some very interesting posts about that:

http://blog.dan.drown.org/frequency-synchronization-without-phase-in-ntp/