Re: [chrony-users] Request: Add an optional timeout option for 'chronyd -q ...'

On Dec 1, 2016, at 6:47 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 06:30:22AM -0600, Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
>> Certainly, If a cron job was used to periodically call chronyd instead of ntpdate, a "-t timeout_secs" option would be quite useful to make sure a stuck/delayed chronyd would not prevent later chronyd's from running.
>
> I'd not recommend using a cron job, but rather something with random
> sleeps between the starts, so multiple clients are not sending
> requests at the same time. If you wanted it to correct frequency, it
> would have to be without the -q option as it can only step the clock
> without any adjustment of the frequency.

OK, thanks for the insight.

>> Just to be clear, I would suggest chronyd should not return 0 if the timeout was reached and exited.
>
> How about returning 0 if the clock was in a synchronised state (the
> reference was updated at least once) and 1 if not? With -q that would
> be 0 only if the clock was stepped.

Yes, that would work for our situation.

For example using "chronyd -q -u ntp -t 10", if after 5 seconds the clock was in a synchronized state, it steps the clock and exits 0.  Alternatively if after 10 seconds the clock was not yet in a synchronized state, it would exit with a non-zero (timeout) return.

Lonnie