Re: [chrony-users] sources lack '^*'

Op 05/09/2016 om 01:46:43 -0700, schreef Bill Unruh:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2016, Leo Baltus wrote:
>
> > Our monitoring-system sometimes panics about this situation:
> >
> > $ chrony sources
> > 210 Number of sources = 3
> > MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
> > ===============================================================================
> > ^- ntp1.omroep.nl                3   7   377    96   -919us[ -919us] +/-   26ms
> > ^- ntp2.omroep.nl                3   6   377    55    -67us[  -67us] +/- 9384us
> > ^- ntp3.omroep.nl                3   9   377   996    +36us[  +31us] +/- 6541us
> >
> > So there apears to be no currently selected source. Moments later Chrony
> > selects a source and 'chrony sources' shows lines beginning with ^+ en ^* again.
> >
> > Can I assume that this is normal bahaviour? And should minotoring
> > scripts assume both 'states' are ok? i.e. interpret lines begining with ^- ^* ^+
> > as 'chrony-is-happy'?
> >

> What your scripts assume is of course up to you. But chrony is not happy. It
> has no source that it trusts (those variances are pretty huge. Is there some
> problem with your network)

There may be a problem with the network, but that's not my point.

In a normal situation chrony changes sources from time to time.
Before synchronizing to a new source, is it entering the 'state' as
described above?

Or is there another state in which chrony will select a new source which
is preferable to the above state?

As this is a transient state should monitoring report about it? If
not, what should be reported as a faulty state?

My guess is:
if all sources report *+ or -, chrony is ok
if all sources report neither *+ or - chrony is not ok

--
Leo Baltus, internetbeheerder
NPO ICT Internet Services