Re: [chrony-users] Monitoring Chrony

Log parsing is possible, there is a tool called mtail that can parse logs to collect metrics. It is generally recommend to ask services directly about their current state rather than regexping logs.

This way the stats are read in a more on-demand way.

On Feb 11, 2016 11:35 AM, "Bryan Christianson" <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/02/2016, at 10:54 PM, Ben Kochie <bjk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> So far, I haven't been able to find a good programmatic way to extract stats with chronyc.  There are a bunch of annoying parsing issues with things like the sourcestats command.  The offset includes a precision, so I have to parse the precision and convert that to be all in one precision.  I haven't seen much documentation on the protocol between chronyc and chronyd.

Take a look at the chronyd log files. The data is more amenable to machine reading than the chronyc output.

> - Ben Kochie

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx