Re: [chrony-users] Fwd: Chrony malfunctioning at beaglebones

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 01:40:10PM +0000, Nuno Gonçalves wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you can, please test the new code in git and let me know if it
> > doesn't work as expected.
> >
> All works fine but...
>
> Oct 27 13:37:31 white chronyd[635]: RTC time before last driftfile
> modification (ignored)
>
> This message appears if I restart Chronyd on a running system. Well,
> RTC time is before last driftfile, but we are not restoring from
> neither of them, because the system clock is ahead of both.
>
> Not sure If this will create any user confusion.

I think it depends on what is the user expecting from the -s option.
If someone decided to fix system clock that's ahead of true time by
setting the RTC and restarting chronyd with the -s option, this
message would explain why it didn't work, even though it worked with
older versions.

Normally, the -s option should be used only on first start. A SysV
init script could be modified to do that, but systemd for instance
doesn't seem to allow different commands for first start and other
starts or restarts.