Re: [chrony-users] Fwd: Chrony malfunctioning at beaglebones

On Sat, Sep 05, 2015 at 09:32:46PM +0100, Nuno Gonçalves wrote:
> Regarding this thread issue, it was indeed a kernel problem that has
> been tracked down by now:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/4/740
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/4/759

Thank you for bisecting that commit.

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The -s option can be useful for that. When there is no RTC, it will
> > set the time from the modification time of the driftfile so the time
> > at least will stay monotonic across reboot.
>
> I am having difficulties using this -s option to restore time to
> chrony.drift write time.

> Maybe this feature also requires some settings at the configuration
> file like "rtcfile"? I've read the documentation and it is not clear.

The -s option will restore the time from the driftfile only if there
is no RTC. If the machine has an RTC, but it's unusable because there
is no battery to keep the time when turned off, you will also need to
tell chronyd to ignore the RTC by setting the rtcdevice to a device
that doesn't not exist. For example:

rtcdevice /dev/nonexist