Re: [chrony-users] Does Chronyd update the hardware clock?

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your quick and detailed reply.

> > I am trying to figure out if Chronyd updates the hardware clock.
>
> It can (writertc is the command in chronyc) but in general it does not. It
> measures the time and rate of the hardware clock in order to better use it to
> set the time next time the computer is switched on. Mind you, the rate is
> deternined while the computer is hot, while the error due to the rate not
> being equal to 1 sec/sec  occurs while the computer is off and cold, and thus
> the rate difference then is different from when it is hot. But the process is
> better than nothing.

I presume that the functionality described above has to do with
setting the "rtcfile" in chrony.conf. Instead of setting "rtcfile" if
"rtcsync" is used, then does chrony automatically update the hardware
clock?

I tested this by changing my system clock and hwclock to -2 mins. With
"rtcsync" and starting the chronyd process, it set the system clock
and the hwclock to the correct time. I just want to confirm that it is
expected behaviour.

The rest of you explanation makes perfect sense, Thanks for the
detailed explanation.

Thanks again,
Joe