Re: [chrony-users] Isolated time domains

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 11:39:17PM +0000, Chris Dore wrote:
> As an experiment, I've got two instances of chronyd running on a server.  One instance is sourcing the external ntp servers and taking care of the server's local clock.  The second instance, is just serving up the local clock to the clients (on a different UDP port).  This is producing what I've been describing, although I'm not a big fan of having two instances running since I don't understand the chronyd/NTP internals well enough to know of any gotchas that may be hiding.  Also, requiring the use of a non-standard port is less than ideal, in case an ntp client doesn't support it.

I think it should work as long as the serving instance doesn't have
anything to synchronize to. You can change the port in the client
instance instead to avoid the problem with NTP clients not supporting
different NTP port.

How close stayed the clients in your test?