Re: [chrony-users] Interop with NTP version 1 and 4 clients

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 03:12:32PM +0100, Benny Lyne Amorsen wrote:
> Here is the tcpdump of a client indicating NTPv4 but receiving an NTPv3
> answer. The client then proceeds to ignore that answer and repeats the
> question.

Hm, I think we can (and probably should) reply to NTPv{1,2} requests
with the corresponding version, but I'm not sure if we can do that
with NTPv4.

I would like to see the chrony code updated to be closer to NTPv4 (now
that there is the RFC 5905). It's been on my todo list for a very long
time, but I wasn't able to spend much time on it yet.

I'm still trying to get a list of all changes we will need to make in
chrony. So far, the most important difference I know of is that once
the implementation is synchronized, it will never claim to be
unsynchronized again, the dispersion will keep increasing until it
hits a limit when the clients will no longer accept its time.

> By the way, what happened to the gmane mailing list subscription?
> The last mail on gmane is from 2009...

That's probably when we moved the lists to tuxfamily.