Re: [chrony-users] Feature suggestion: "reloadconfig" command

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 03:35:56PM +0100, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:
> Hey
>
> My /etc/chrony.conf is owned by an automated tool (of sorts) which
> currently has to kill the chrony process and restart it, in order
> for chrony to pick up new config when it's made. This doesn't feel
> too robust, since the kill could theoretically fail and then the
> restart wouldn't work either, leaving the confi changes unapplied.
>
> It would be lovely if I could just send "reloadconfig" to chronyc
> and have /etc/chrony.conf re-parsed for me.

That would be pretty hard to do in the current code. Also, some parts
of the config are evaluated under root (refclocks, port binding) and
can't be changed after the permissions are dropped.

How can killing chronyd fail? If the daemon doesn't respond to the
signal, will reloading work?