[chrony-users] Chrony using RTC to resynch system time: Not a useful feature ?

In my project we were planning to use the "rtcfile" feature of chrony to resynchronize the system
time from the RTC using its RTC-measurements it has taken previously. Now there is some doubt
if that is an useful feature at all:
1. Current kernels seem to update the RTC when they find that the system time is NTP-controlled.
   IMO doesn't that render chrony's RTC measurements useless because of this external influence?
2. RTCs seem to have completely different stability performance depending on if they are run from
   their own battery or if the PC is powered. So even if the kernel would not update the RTC while
   the system is running, the measurements are still invalid for a time correction based on a battery-
   run RTC (ie PC had been off for a while) ?
3. In the light of point 1, what is the real use for chrony's "rtcsync" on modern kernels ? According
   to our dev, the feature of the "kernel synching the RTC duringNTP-synched system time" is not
   something you can turn off or on. Or maybe I just do not understand the feature :-) ?

Thanks for your input,

Thomas Schmid

---