Re: [chrony-users] Chrony 1.26 public server available - please try ...

On 20/07/2011 17:33, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:47:35AM +0100, Ed W wrote:
>> Hmm, the datacenter is a little more laggy (ripple around the 1ms mark)
>> than say my servers hosted with 1&1 in germany (going away, but ripple
>> is typically 0.1ms), however, I have no explanation for a 100ms spike...
>
> It was probably a problem on my side. It seems to be much better now.

I think I found a problem where my machine was lagging for some ms when
load/iowait increased on that machine (it runs a number of virtual
machines).  I have increased the chrony priority with "-P 30" and the
jitter is now tracking much lower

Any comments on the use of the priority level? (is it possible to cause
a DOS by pinning the machine now that some task is running sched_fifo?).
I could alternatively nice the process - I believe this still allows
stuff to be rescheduled if the process goes out to lunch?

Anyone using the server please comment on any change in latency since
approx 15:00BST today?

Cheers

Ed W

---