Re: [chrony-users] Dealing with SNTP sources

On Wed, 4 May 2011 13:40:12 -0700 (PDT), Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2011, Harald Krammer wrote:

>>> An sntp server must, AFAIK be a stratum 0 server.
>>>

>> Really? My opinion is, that the stratum behavior is equal. SNTP means
>> usage of simple algorithm. e.g. only hard time set after a query
>> Some  SNTP implementation are extremely inaccurate.  In my area NTP is
>> also used over GPRS connections ( round trip delay till 100 ms - 2 s).
>> Accuracy does not play a major role in some applications.
>
> That may be your opinion, but sntp has a specific definition within the
> standards and as far as I understand it, it is either a client only, or
it
> is
> stratum 0 server. It is not ever something which takes time from one
server
> and serves it to some other client.

You are right. I also thought so, but in the field it's happen. My user
does
not care about it, so there are my strange solutions. I implemented also
IEC 60870-5-104 as time source for NTP. Our customers want such a thing.

> In fact, the staunch proponents (David Mills) would even regard chrony
as
> an
> sntp and not allow a machine running chrony to serve time to anyone
else.
> (Of course what you do in the confines of your own little private net is
> up to
> you:-)

I did tested the different NTP implementations in my environment and
chrony was my winner. I achieved an accuracy of + / - 500 us
for 30 devices on a network with typical cpu and network load.
Some customers want very precise times.

Target: Linux ARM 2.6.20 with uclibc / Cirrus EP9302 200 MHz
and Linux ARM 2.6.20 with uclibc / PXA270 520MHz

I'm  very satisfied with Chrony.
Thanks for the great work

> Mills feels that he carefully designed ntp to give stable, reliable time
> others, and the simplifications stuck into sntp can easily destroy that
(
> as
> you have done by relabeling stratum) reliability/stability, and that
> allowing
> sntp into the time network would just bring it crashing down into chaos..
>   I have some sympathy for his position.

With the hacks in my area it's hard to find problems. Fortunately,
they are not the standard for me - only exceptions.

Nice greetings,
Harald

---