[chrony-users] using chronyd with gpsd, without PPS support

Hi folks,

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but is it possible for chronyd
to synchronize with gpsd without LinuxPPS support?

My kernel (Debian squeeze 2.6.32-5-686) doesn't appear to have
PPS. I'm using a version of gpsd pulled with git just now, and gpsd
2.95.

I naively tried adding

  refclock SHM 1 poll 3 refid GPS1

to my /etc/chrony.conf file, but it doesn't pick up anything from
the GPS (which is working, confirmed by listening in to the gpsd
socket).

GPS1 appears in "sources" as:

MS Name/IP address           Stratum Poll LastRx Last sample