Re: [chrony-users] How to set chrony on a remote server with always on internet

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, J. Bakshi wrote:

Dear list,

During my search on time sync service in linux I have found chrony as a
good competitor of ntp.  I have found through several documentation that
chrony can also adjust the clock with fluctuating internet connection.
Hence chrony is my prime choice as a time deamon both for workstation as
well as servers. But as a newbie I have faced some problems and I
request you, the list to provide me some enlightenment, please.

[1] I have installed chrony in a remote debian box which is connected
with broadband connection and it hardly becomes offline.  In this
situation what might be the tweak in the configuration to make chrony
aware about this non ppp based Internet connection ?

Just do not take it offline. Ie, start it up without the "offline" keyword. It will be onlinewhen it comes up, and do not worry about it. You of course do
not need anything in any of the /etc/ppp/* since you do not need ppp.

[2]  The box has IST as the timezone.  i.e.

Timezone has nothing to do with chrony. chrony, and ntpd operate in UTC
always. It is in reporting to you that your system which uses timezones
.. Just make sure that
/etc/localtime is a copy of the appropriate file from /usr/share/zoneinfo
(I do not know which of the many places that start with I, IST refers to)

debian:~# date
Wed Mar 31 10:44:19 IST 2010

Do I need any modification in the timezone ? It has been mentioned that
chrony is based on UTC, But is it impossible to keep the timezone as
local one and run chrony ?

Linux uses utc. all timeZone information is translated at point to use to
timezone. So yes, it is impossible since Linux has no machanism for using
timezone information internally.

You CAN keep the rtc in localtime, but it is discouraged. It causes nothing
but problems. And after startup the system never uses the rtc. While chrony can also keep
track of the drift and offset of the rtc, it is not terribly useful anymore.
(the newer hwclock program keeps track of drift and offset as well, and
arguably as well as chrony, and most distros are set up to use hwclock on
startup and shutdown.)

Please let me know.

---