Re: [chrony-users] How to set chrony on a remote server with always on internet

On 03/31/2010 11:37 AM, J. Bakshi wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> During my search on time sync service in linux I have found chrony as a
> good competitor of ntp.  I have found through several documentation that
> chrony can also adjust the clock with fluctuating internet connection.
> Hence chrony is my prime choice as a time deamon both for workstation as
> well as servers. But as a newbie I have faced some problems and I
> request you, the list to provide me some enlightenment, please.
>
> [1] I have installed chrony in a remote debian box which is connected
> with broadband connection and it hardly becomes offline.  In this
> situation what might be the tweak in the configuration to make chrony
> aware about this non ppp based Internet connection ?
>
> [2]  The box has IST as the timezone.  i.e.
>
> debian:~# date
> Wed Mar 31 10:44:19 IST 2010
>
> Do I need any modification in the timezone ? It has been mentioned that
> chrony is based on UTC, But is it impossible to keep the timezone as
> local one and run chrony ?
>
> Please let me know.

Additionally I like to inform some more findings.

[3]   /var/log/chrony/statistics.log;   /var/log/chrony/tracking.log ;
/var/log/chrony/measurements.log  are empty.

[4]  chronyc>tracking  reports

            506 Cannot talk to daemon

[5]  I do have a firewall here and the box has apache, mail, squid
accessible from net.  Do I need to open any specific port for chrony ?

eagerly waiting for a response.
thanks

--
জয়দীপ বক্সী