[chrony-dev] SNMP agent

we were looking for SNMP monitoring for chrony, and to my knowledge
chrony does not provide that functionality. Or am I wrong?

We use central SNMP monitoring for our computers, and we get a lot of
information about operating system statuses via SNMP. However, ntp
detailed information is not available, and it would be very beneficial
to have that information accessible via SNMP.

There is already a standard MIB
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5907) for ntp monitoring. I
propose to make an agentX or subagent for snmpd in chrony, which would
report ntp status via snmpd using a provided MIB. More information
about subagents can be found here
https://net-snmp.sourceforge.io/wiki/index.php/TUT:Writing_a_Subagent

I am willing to contribute the code, but I am unfamiliar with chrony
source. Is there an interest or will to incorporate the SNMP monitoring
into chrony or not?

ntpd seems to have ntpsnmpd, but it looks more like an unfinished task.
https://github.com/benegon/ntp/tree/master/ntpsnmpd

Regards
Marko