Re: [chrony-dev] nts_ke_server calling UTI_GetRandomBytesUrandom

I think it depends on what the purpose of the randomness is. If you need real
cryptgrphic randomness-- ie, unpredictable by an attacker (as for example in
encryption, or signatures) then you have to pay the price in time. If however
what you just want it to have a stream of bytes which does not repeat, so that
two instances will not give the same value (eg uuids or, I suspect filling the
ntp time packets with cruft so that successive packets on time scales less
than the precision of the clock do not give the same values) then must facter
"random" stream generators would suffice. Calling a cryptogrphic random stream
for the latter would seem to overkill, and much slower than necessary. Does
anyone care if the time stamp bits which are better than the precision are
predictable by someone outside? Does this give any attacker a attack vector?
In fact it would seem that using a different generator for this purpose rather
than for instances where cryptographic randomness is needed would be an
advantage in that you would be giving less information about the cryptographic
stream generator to an attacker.

Of course this is irrelevant prediction  of  the random cruft in the timestamps
gives  an attacker an advantage.

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx