Re: [chrony-dev] wolfSSL support

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 02:47:39PM -0700, Hayden Roche wrote:
> > There might be interest, but I'd like to get an idea on what would be the
> benefits,  and how difficult it would be to maintain.
>
> wolfSSL's primarily used in the embedded world, as it's much smaller than
> OpenSSL and similar libraries. wolfSSL also has a valid (i.e. not expired)
> FIPS 140-2 cert and a 140-3 cert on the way. The customer that drove this
> work needed wolfSSL for FIPS compliance.

GnuTLS has a FIPS mode and I think is certified too, at least on some
systems, but I'm not very familiar with the process.

> Are you asking about the size of libwolfssl or how much code would be added
> to chrony? For the former, it really depends on how wolfSSL is configured,
> but like I said, generally it's much smaller than libcrypto/libssl. For the
> latter, somewhere in the ballpark of the line additions of the patch I sent.

The size of the extra code in chrony. Your patch adds about 1400
lines. With the refactoring I guess it could be less than 1000.
If the code was easy to understand and maintain, that might be
acceptable.

> How are you building wolfSSL? And can you share your build size comparison?
> I'm decently confident I can reduce the size to an acceptable range once
> I've got an idea of what a "good" size is.

I added "--enable-chrony --enable-aessiv --enable-md5" to the wolfssl
Makefile in the OpenWrt 21.02 branch. On the mips target the size of
the library increased from 1100899 to 1174755 bytes. I didn't ask, but
I suspect that is too much to be accepted as the default just for one
optional package that few users have installed.

> > Have you considered writing a minimal library that would provide all the
> GnuTLS functions in order for chronyd to work on top of wolfSSL?
>
> If I understand correctly, you're talking about a library that just maps
> the GnuTLS functions onto wolfSSL functions? If so, that seems less
> user-friendly than just letting users --enable-wolfssl/--with-wolfssl to a
> regular libwolfssl, rather than a shim library. GnuTLS can of course still
> be the default.

I don't think there would be many users building chrony+wolfssl from
scratch. The steps could be documented. However, I understand that
it's not an ideal approach.