Re: [chrony-dev] Proposal for improvement of memory consumption in chronyd.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:54:37PM +0200, timekeeper@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear Chrony community,
>
> We recently start with chrony.eu public ntp pool. As number of clients
> increases we observe in our monitoring platform that aged out clients do not
> free memory.

That's how the client logging was designed. The current code uses
just one large densely-packed table holding all the data. It's not
possible to make holes in it, or move the entries around. The table
can grow (or shrink - but that's not implemented) by a factor of 2.
The hashing would need to be reworked and some garbage collecting
implemented in order to free memory. But I suspect the additional
memory that would be needed for this would outweight any benefits of a
dynamic allocation. The code would be more complex and it would need
more CPU time. Probably not worth the trouble.

My suggestion would be to configure a smaller clientlog limit, so it
covers (on average) only the interval you think is sufficient.