Re: [chrony-dev] [Regression 3.5 -> 4.0-pre1]: Could not remove /run/chronyd.pid : Permission denied

On 2020-04-07T16:37+0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 04:26:20PM +0200, Vincent Blut wrote:
Hi,

While preparing chrony 4.0-pre1 for Debian experimental, I observed that
stopping chronyd throws the following error:

chronyd[118401]: Could not remove /run/chronyd.pid : Permission denied

I have yet to look for where the issue lies but as I’m unable to reproduce
this with chrony 3.5, we probably have a regression here.

There might be two separate issues.

Does the Debian package override the default location of the pidfile?
Since 3.4 it should be in /var/run/chrony (or /run/chrony).

Yup. Since chrony 3.1-3 we pass “--with-pidfile=/run/chronyd.pid”. I was aware of the new pidfile location but did not want to deal with a risky upgrade path, so currently our pidfile location is still the same as the aforementioned one.

When chronyd dropped the root privileges, it couldn't remove a file in
/var/run (or /run). Previously the failure to remove the file
produced only a debug message. Now it's an error syslog message.

Indeed, that’s what I observed from strace.