Re: [chrony-dev] Problems building with nettle-3.5

Thanks Miroslav

> On 10/03/2020, at 9:26 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 06:45:46PM +1300, Bryan Christianson wrote:
>> gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.10 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wall -I/Users/bryan/Software-Swift5/chronyd/Crypt/opt/include -o docheck docheck.c -L/Users/bryan/Software-Swift5/chronyd/Crypt/opt/lib
>
> This command is missing -lnettle. That's probably because pkg-config
> is missing or the nettle pc file was not found.

I specified PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Users/bryan/Software-Swift5/chronyd/Crypt/opt/lib/pkgconfig and that has solved the problem for nettle.

I am now trying to get gnutls built as a static library without it picking up anything from my /usr/local directory. Unfortunately, it is not good practice on macOS to ask users to install these libraries etc with a package manager - Applications are supposed to be self contained.

> I should improve the configure script and documentation.

It would be good if the config.log had a complaint about not being able to build the complete command.

Maybe also add the following hint to ./configure -h (This is what is present in the gnutls configure script)

Some influential environment variables:
  PKG_CONFIG  path to pkg-config utility
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH
              directories to add to pkg-config's search path
  PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
              path overriding pkg-config's built-in search path

Bryan Christianson
bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx