Re: [chrony-dev] rtcsync in chrony 3.5

On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 04:11:30PM +0700, Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:
> I have some suspicion that rtcsync does no longer work in 3.5.
>
> set_sync_status has these lines:
>       /* update the RTC by applying a step of 0.0 secs */
>        apply_step_offset(0.0);
>        last_rtc_sync = now;
>        DEBUG_LOG("rtc synchronised”;
>
> So: maybe I should turn on some debug flags (how? - I am rather clueless) and look at some log-file (where?)

In order to see the debug message, the configure script needs to be
called with --enable-debug and the compiled chronyd binary with two -d
options.

I suspect the problem is that on more recent macOS versions chronyd
doesn't use the macOS-specific set_sync_status() function, but reuses
the NetBSD driver, which doesn't do the get and set operation.

If anyone could confirm that the NetBSD/FreeBSD kernel sets the RTC on
settimeofday()/clock_settime(), it could be enabled in the NetBSD
driver.