Re: [chrony-dev] new feature request: add "fast" and "slow" to "clock wrong" and "clock stepped" log messages

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:08:11AM -0700, James Feeney wrote:
> You seem to be describing some kind of log message that has no meaning in isolation - like an episode of a TV show that makes no sense unless you've seen the entire series.

I think it has a meaning in isolation. It says that the chronyd's idea
of the true time has shifted by x seconds, even though we don't know
what exactly that is or why it changed.

How to describe that in a syslog message?

> Personally, I would say that that is just very bad User Interface design.  In contrast, I believe that each log message should be "self contained", that it should have a clear and precise meaning, even in isolation.
>
> So far, after much back and forth, I have come away with an incomplete understanding.
>
> Miroslav, if you really believe in the importance of this "stacked messages", "current remaining correction" concept, then please write a precise mathematical expression for what you are describing, beginning first with a complete list of variable names and their descriptions.

I suspect that description would be very long, for either of those
values, and it couldn't be precisely described in a syslog message.
There are at least four different offsets that chronyd works with,
starting with individual NTP measurements and ending with an estimate
of the offset of the system clock that should be corrected.

BTW, there is an interesting case that could happen if the message was
changed to report the "true" offset of the system clock, but kept the
threshold based on the change. It could report an offset smaller than
the threshold. For example, if the first update was to correct a 10
second offset, and in the middle of the correction there was an update
of -5 seconds, there would be a message saying that the "true" offset
is zero.