Re: [chrony-dev] new feature request: add "fast" and "slow" to "clock wrong" and "clock stepped" log messages

I think the core issue is that the log messages are intended to communicate expressions of multiple complex states. I think of it in this simplified way: This is the state from 3 minutes ago; This is the correction action that I computed for that state which was scheduled to be completed 2 minutes from now; This is the state that I computed that I should currently be in based on that correction process; This is the state that I am actually in, and it doesn’t match the computed state. All of this is very difficult to reduce to a single layman oriented log message.

2017-11-14 11:39:17 chronyd: System clock appears to be unreliable

Denny