Re: [chrony-dev] new feature request: add "fast" and "slow" to "clock wrong" and "clock stepped" log messages

On 10/27/2017 11:10 AM, Bill Unruh wrote:
> ... Of course the sentence does not indicate what convention chrony uses (ie does
> the plus sign mean that the system clock is ahead or behind the true time) I> can never remember which convetion is used but I think it is UTC-systemclock.

Ha!  Yes, difficult to remember, on occasion.  And then, it seems simple enough to add a single word to clarify the "direction" of the time offsets.

> In the tracking report, one has the terminology
>
> System time     : 0.000062501 seconds fast of NTP time
>
> which would not be ambigous as to the sign convention.

Including "fast" there does make it much easier to read.  I'm thinking that it would be nice to include this sort of thing also in the log messages.