Re: [chrony-dev] [contrib] unidled: a linux idle management daemon for chronyd/gpsd

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 06:17:33PM +0200, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
> The timing is controlled by the pps device which effectively is created
> by gpsd when the serial line discipline is set to pps. In the default
> setting of unidled a single core is switched to poll mode for 0.2% of
> the time, keeping the CPU cool while still allowing for a high
> precision.

Very interesting. Someone was asking for magic like this couple weeks
ago on the chrony-user list. :)

> If there is interest in this code feel free to include it e.g. in the
> contrib directory and to enhance it for other OSes.

As this is not really specific to chrony or gpsd (there are other
applications that use PPS), I'd suggest to put it on github or
similar. I'll add a link to it on the chrony website.