Re: [chrony-dev] macOS 10.13 beta 5 - adjtime() is fixed.

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 06:37:00PM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
> One thing I did notice. On macOS 10.12 the frequency on the machine I use seems to mostly hover in the range 16 to 19 ppm, depending on temperature, other workload etc.
>
> On macOS 10.13, it seems to be more like 17.5 to 20.5 ppm, again depending on temperature, workload.
>
> I was a little surprised to note the difference because it is the same hardware in both cases. Maybe I need to test that a little more to see if its a real or imaginary (on my part) difference.

I guess a difference of 1.5 ppm could be explained by new kernel
timekeeping implementation, different rounding, etc.

Does it change across reboots? For instance, with the tsc clocksource
on Linux it's expected to see some variation as the calibration takes
just a second or so.