Re: [chrony-dev] macOS 10.13 with netbsd driver

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 12:23:06AM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:
> I stopped chronyd, then advanced the local clock by about 10 seconds. When I restarted chronyd it hit a fatal error with adjtime().
>
> I put this patch in to correct the problem but thought I should discuss with you before submission. I'm wondering if it might be better to patch PRV_AdjustTime so that on macOS we can always handle a NULL argument.

The patch looks good to me good. Can you please resend it as a git
patch with commit message explaining the problem? I think patching
PRV_AdjustTime would work only when compiled with the PRIVDROP
feature.

> With this patch, the frequency jumped up to 2500 ppm until the local offset was below 1 second. It then dropped back to its usual value and the system converged as normal.

The frequency reported by chronyc tracking jumped by 2500 ppm? That is
odd. Is it possible there was still an offset corrected by adjtime()
after chronyd was restarted and it was making new measurements? I'm
not actually sure if anything resets the offset on start.