Re: [chrony-dev] SW/HW timestamping on Linux

Miroslav,

This is called a cut-through, and is not the default. The reason it isn’t the default is because it propagates invalid frames (runts, run-ons, crc errors, etc.) beyond the source port. Store and forward is the default. Cut-though generally doesn’t work with port speed mismatch and I’ve never seen it used with 100Mb. This really isn’t something you have to worry about.

FWIW, assuming two 1Gb ports on the same switch, the one-way transmission time with cut-through would go from 1504ns to 800ns. However the round trip would still be symmetrical.

Denny