[chrony-dev] Idea: Leapsecond info via DNS

Hi

Poul-Henning Kamp has implemented a system to get leapsecond
information via DNS. I wonder if it is feasible to use in chronyd. The
benefit would be that there is no need to download and update
leapsecond files. On the other hand it adds a dependency on another
service. PHK has made a reference implementation in the form of a test
program here:

http://www.freebsd.dk/time/20151122.html

The DNS service is still up to date.

I found the CRC stuff somewhat confusing, but the field has a value so
when the entire packet is fed through the algorithm then the result
modulo 0x80 is zero for valid responses.

I have not looked close enough at the chronyd code to see where or how
it could be implemented, but I think chronyd should only make the DNS
lookup at startup and then perhaps once a week. At least the DNS server
should not be overloaded. With a long interval measured from startup
time I guess it is OK.

What do you think?

Kind regards Rune