Re: [chrony-dev] timeshift option

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 02:43:05PM +0200, Rolf Fokkens wrote:
> For the sole purpose of doing an import we needed a (cassandra) database
> cluster of 5 nodes to be temporarily timshifted backwards 6 months. At first
> chrony would work agains the whole idea, but with a small tweak it became a
> great help. Below you'll find the (quick and dirty) patch that took care of
> this.

That's an interesting problem. Another approach that I think might
have worked for you is to shift measurements from all sources instead
of shifting the local time. The offset option that was added recently
for NTP sources could be used to do that. The main difference would be
in the time served by chrony to its clients. It would be shifted too.
But I guess in cases like this it wouldn't matter.

Another possibility might be to disable synchronization with external
servers, enable the local directive on one node and synchronize the
other nodes with its (shifted) time.