Re: [chrony-dev] chrony report of IP for PPS

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 07:57:41PM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying this for me. Still seems a bit odd, but I guess if you
> are just going to use 4 bytes, overlaps will occur.

Yes, the reference ID in NTP is confusing. For stratum 1 it's the ID
of the refclock, for stratum > 1 it's the IPv4 address or the first
32 bits of MD5 sum of the IPv6 address. I think the main problem is
that it's written in the quad-dotted notation. If it was written as
01:23:45:56, I think people would be less likely to interpret it as an
IP address. I proposed it on the NTP WG list some time ago, but the
ntpd folks don't seem to be interested in that.

If you need the IP address of the source from the chronyc tracking
output, you can use the -n switch and parse the string in brackets on
the "Reference ID" line. The first string is always the reference ID
in the quad-dotted notation, which can be interpretted as an IP
address only if stratum is larger than one and the source is an IPv4
address.